Wednesday 3 March 2021

6.6.- Writing: Praising and criticising and how to write a review.

Brainstorming about films that be watched at least one in our life.


Top 10 films everybody should see at least once.


Brainstorming about adjectives for praising and criticising films.

Adjectives for praising (+) / Adjectives for criticising (-)


Some useful adjectives for praising and criticising films

 

Action-packed: filled with action, danger and excitement, for example, an action-packed adventure movie.

 

Brutal: cruel, violent and completely without feelings, for example, a brutal dictator.

 

Far-fetched: very unlikely to be true, and difficult to believe, for example, a far-fetched story.

 

Gloomy: not expecting or believing anything good in a situation, for example, ‘The vet is rather gloomy about my cat's chances of recovery.

 

Gripping: Something that is gripping is so interesting or exciting that it holds your attention completely, for example, ‘I found the book so gripping that I couldn't put it down.

 

Pretentious: trying to appear or sound more important or smarter than you are, especially in matters of art and literature, for example, a pretentious art critic.


Slow-moving: developing at a slow pace, for example, a slow-moving French drama.


Spectacular: exciting and interesting because of being large or extreme, for example, a spectacular sunset.

 

Stylish: of a high quality in appearance, design or behaviour, for example, ‘The movie's direction is stylish’.

 

Subtle: not loud, bright, noticeable, or obvious in any way, for example, ‘The play's message is perhaps too subtle to be understood by young children.'

 

Unconvincing: if an explanation or story is unconvincing, it does not sound or seem true or real, for example, ‘They gave some unconvincing explanations for the system failure.

 

Uninspired: not exciting or interesting, for example, an uninspired performance.

 

Witty: using words in a smart and funny way, for example, a witty comment.

 

Sources:

https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/


Exercise 1 on page 54 on wordwall

https://wordwall.net/resource/31882346


What is the film you like most and why?

What is the film you like least and why?


The James Bond's trailers



Goldfinger trailer


Skyfall trailer



Collaborative exercise 1 on page 54

Collaborative reading of the exam task on page 55 and the sample film review on page 56.

Structure
1.- Introduction saying the films that will be compared.
2.- Body paragraph about the film plots.
3.- Body paragraph about the impact of the setting on the pace of the films.
4.- Body paragraph about a key difference in the films.
5.- Conclusion focused on the film recommend most and why.


Length between 220 and 260 words

Useful phrases when writing a film review.

USEFUL PHRASES:

It is highly recommendable to have a set template for each type of text before the day of the exam to make sure you meet the correct standard. Try learning some of these phrases to include in your template.

Opinions:

  • In my opinion, …
  • In my eyes, …
  • To my mind, …
  • As far as I am concerned, …
  • Speaking personally, …
  • From my point of view, …
  • As for me / As to me, …
  • My view / opinion / belief / impression / conviction is that …
  • It goes without saying…
  • I hold the view that …
  • I would say that …
  • It seems to me that …
  • I am of the opinion that …
  • I’ll stick my neck out and say…
  • I’d hazard a guess that…
  • My impression is that …
  • I am under the impression that …
  • It is my impression that …
  • I have the feeling that …
  • My own feeling on the subject is that …
  • I have no doubt that …
  • I am sure / I am certain that …
  • I think / consider / find / feel / believe / suppose / presume / assume/reckon that …
  • I hold the opinion that …
  • I dare say that …
  • I guess that …
  • I bet that ….
  • I gather that …
  • It goes without saying that …

Making recommendations: 

  • I would (highly) recommend…
  • If I were you, I’d take a look at…
  • It is well worth the wait because…
  • It would be a good idea to check it out as…
  • The… must be included as…

Linking:

  • As I have said before…
  • With respect to the point on…
  • Regarding…
  • Like I have said…
  • In relation to…
  • Taking into account…

Expressing enthusiasm:

  • I am delighted (that)…
  • It is thrilling (that)…
  • It is awesome (that)…
  • It seems exciting to think…

Expressing surprise:

  • I was caught completely off guard by…
  • It is really surprising (that)…
  • I was taken aback when….
  • … really takes my breath away…

Speculating:

  • Probably – He will probably do the exam next week
  • Perhaps/maybe – Perhaps he doesn’t have time
  • May/might/could – You might be luckier next time
  • What if – What if he doesn’t arrive on time?

Preferences: I prefer (…ing), I like ___ more than…

  • I would rather (bare infinitive)
  • I would prefer (infinitive)
  • I would sooner (bare infinitive)

Source https://www.intercambioidiomasonline.com/2017/09/05/c1-writing-writing-a-review-for-the-cae-exam/


Useful points when writing reviews of films, tv programmes, plays:

·         lead role

·         star role

·         star

·         star actor

·         star actress

·         starring

·         secondary role

·         He plays a …….

·         She plays a …….

·         written by ….

·         is set in …..

·         based on a true story ….

·         believable

·         true to life

·         not very believable

·         far-fetched

·         comedy

·         romance

·         science fiction

·         ending

 

Source: https://engxam.com/handbook/how-to-write-a-review-c1-advanced-cae/

Talking about movies video

Exam task on page on page 54 or 55 about writing a review of a pair of films or series.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Subjunctive in Fixed Expressions and Verbs and Expressions followed by the Subjunctive

  Video about Queen's coffin enters Westminster Abbey What do you think about the Queen's funeral? Subjunctive in Fixed Expressions ...